My Not So Secret Body and Mind Retreat at Goenga Vipassana Centre

In front of the meditation hall at Dhamma Kamala
In the height of technology and stressful environment, some people trying to divert their attention from misery life to something else like movies, shopping, savouring nice food or the seeking their way out or happiness in social media. Well..my friends, for me my happiness is nor found from Michelin star restaurant nor the brand new designer handbags nor a super good high paid career. The real happiness is within oneself. If you never have enough or feel enough, we will keep on searching for happiness forever and ever but it's not sustainable. I learnt that the hard way 10 years ago.

I had a dream job being a flight attendant, travelling to all the dream destination sometimes in First or Business class. I had almost everything a 30 yrs old woman wants, a car, a nice house and a loving family. But..still, I was not happy or content with my life. Often I kept wondering what else was missing and being bitchy with everyone around me (my family). Oh, a boyfriend then I met someone but again my expectation was too high to sustain the relationship. One day my mom mentioned this female executive with a bad temper who went to the meditation centre and she is now getting better on a tv show and I might be interested ( good job mom!)

From then on, I've been a repeater guest of these meditation centres for 10 years now. It has become my yearly retreat and technology detox. Last year I posted a little bit of information on my Instagram account but decided to write in more details for anyone interested. This blog will give you some more ideas about how to prepare and what to expect.

Step 1: This method is for you if...

First step first, why I chose this teaching method. To be honest, I was not a strong believer or a good Buddhist. I was totally against all these heaven and hell things or the more merit you done you grant your place in heaven after you are dead. And most of all I am against all the ritual and chanting.  When I looked at the daily schedule on their website for the first time, I decided that I'd give it a go even though the schedule is quite intimidating for a person who couldn't sit still for more than 10 minutes.

This teaching method has passed on from the Buddha himself through generations then our teacher S.N. Goenga started to teach this vipassana and expand all over the world. The Vipassana meditation is good for you if you want to declutter your mind, take a break from technology, emails and all kinds of communications and by-product you will get to know yourself a little bit better. This is purely because you really get to be with yourself without any distraction and other entertainment. You will have to deal with all your thoughts that coming through in every second when you close your eyes and try to focus on your breath.

To enrol, there are around 9 centres in Thailand and 341 centres in 94 countries around the world. You can check the course schedule in http://thaidhamma.net. There are different durations of course from 10, 20, 30 to 45 days but all new students will have to start with 10 days course first. I've only been to a few locations: Prachinburi, Phitsanuloke and Bangkok due to the weather and distant from Bangkok and there are individual rooms completed with shower and toilet inside.

These courses are free of charge however funded from old students donations as our teacher intended it to be this way(you will find out why during the course). So at the end of Day 10, you can donate whatever amount you want to help sustain these courses for future students.

To travel to each centre, once you enrol on the website, you will receive a confirmation email which will inform you about the transportation options. I usually use the bus that the centre provides because it's convenient and guarantee that you won't chicken out and drive your car back home amid the course. Believe me, there are also people who cannot go through these 10 days.

Talking about the room and facilities, as you will have to practice 5 or 8 precepts over the 10 days.

The five moral precepts(For new students)
 1. To refrain from taking life, ie killing any living creature. 
 2. To refrain from taking what is not freely given, ie theft. 
 3. To refrain from misuse of the senses or sexual misconduct, ie overindulgence in sex or    
     committing sexual offences. 
 4. To refrain from wrong speech, ie lying or gossiping.
 5. To refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind, ie drugs or alcohol

The eight moral precepts


  1. I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from taking life
  2. I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from taking what is not given
  3. I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from unchastity
  4. I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from false speech
  5. I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from intoxicants which cause a careless frame of mind
  6. I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from taking food at the wrong time
  7. I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from dancing, music, visiting shows, flowers, make-up, the wearing of ornaments and decorations
  8. I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from a tall, high sleeping place

So you can imagine if you observe 8 precepts that means you would have to skip dinner for 10 days. This is one of the things I like as my body detox, no dinner and eating vegetarian for 10 days! How good is that!!

Step 2: What and how to prepare

Once you receive the confirmation, that means you will have to take leave for at least 8 days. Altogether you'll need 12 days: 1 day for travel to the centre and register, 10 full days course and 1 day to travel back home. I usually pick the duration that covers 2 weekends so you don't have to use many AL.

Now Packing!!

What you'll need for these 10 days? Well..even though this course is FOC (Free of Charge) but you'll have to prepare well.

1. Clothes in polite colours (meaning not too bright like neon colours, you are there to purify your mind and don't need a distraction so vice versa..) No sleeveless, no shorts, not revealing or transparent and not too tight. I would recommend something comfortable and easy to sit on the floor but no leggings please. You can either bring 10 sets or there is a laundry service at the centre as well. I usually pay 5 BHT per piece. 
2. Sufficient amount of underwears. 
3. Toiletries: things you need for your hygienic without a strong smell (please read precept no. 7) This include all necessary items such as tissue paper, washing liquid in case you want to wash your underwear, sanitary napkins, refillable water bottle and etc. In case you urgently need something during the course, you can also ask "Dhamma Server" as well. 
4. Extra something: to bring a shawl is always a good idea, you can use it to cover your lap or prevent you from cold air condition in the meditation hall. Water flask is also good to bring, there are drinking water cooler provided and I think you wouldn't want to reuse that PET plastic bottle again and again in 10 days right! Ah..and maybe a room slippers. 

What to expect?

The most important thing to know that you will have to observe Noble Silence for the whole 10 days. So...no talking, no communication (except when you need help from "Course Manager" and "Dhamma Server" these are people who help accommodate you in these 10 days time or when you have interview time with the "Assitant Teachers" when time permit) Also no eye contact with the other students.
Why? This way you will be totally with yourself and your own thought then you will learn many things about yourself which you've never realized before. Trust me.



Once you arrive at the centre and register, you will be asked to put all your valuable belongings such as jewellery, wallets, mobile phone including reading/writing material in the locker. This is a process of letting go and reduce distractions during your time there. Plus you don't have to worry about your money or valuables when you are away from your room. I usually bring minimal to the meditation centre.

Here is the daily schedule. 


Your day will start at 4am and finish at around 9.30pm. Most of the time will be meditation but don't be alarmed. It's not that scary though, just imagine me who couldn't sit still for more than 10 mins and now I can meditate 1-2 hours without changing position. So if I can do it, you can do it too!

Facilities
You will have the basics which you need in daily life. Don't expect luxury, this is a path to purify your mind and learn the truth of life and how to be with yourself. 

Bedroom 
Shower and Toilet
I won't say much about the meditation method as it's better for you to experience it yourself. What I can say is it'd really worth your time there. The first 3-4 days would be really difficult but once you get past that you'll be totally fine. Think about your untrained mind like wild animals that always have distractions and suddenly have to be still in a confide space for the first time. 

I've learnt a lot every time I went there and learning still. It helped me get through many difficult times in my life smoothly. I hope it would help you too. 


You can also find the link of Twitter CEO who also attend this Vipassana meditation below.


Comments

Popular Posts