How I Became a Wedding Planner Part 2 - Thai Ceremony and Merit Making

Welcome back to Part 2 of my wedding plan! 

After we were quite settled with how we want our wedding to be, the first and most important thing was the date. For a Thai person, I'm not so much on the superstitious side. So neither my parents nor I am serious about the auspicious date or time. For most people, the date and time are very important to start something new and they will have to consult with their respectable monks or fortuneteller. They will then calculate the auspicious date/time according to the bride and groom's birth date. What I did was, I just searched for auspicious dates in August from 2019 auspicious calendar (calculate from the time line we should finish with all the marriage document) and found 2 days during one of the weekends. So that's how the dates were picked.



Location: We picked my house so my father will be able to be a part of the ceremony. People who know me personally would know that my dad has been a bedridden patient for 4 years after a car accident. Hence it is impossible for him to go to a wedding outside. 

How we want it: We agreed that we want it to be intimate, simple and meaningful. There were only our close family members and a few closed friends attended as it was very early. We decided (I suggested to him)that we don't have to do the whole nine yard with all the Khan Maak procession or water blessing. We went with a Buddhist blessing ceremony and wrist tie ceremony to save the time and the groom from sitting on the floor for too long (to sit on the floor can be quite painful for the foreigner who is not used to do that).

How we did: 

Buddhist blessing ceremony
In order to save time and all the hassle, I used an organizer "Boonumpar" which I'm very happy with the result and the price we paid. It saved all the hassles to go booking schedule with the monks at the temple, set up the location, renting furniture and all equipment for the ceremony, transportation for monks, catering, all the merit-making flowers/offerings, and MC to guide us along the way.


The organiser arrived at 6am to set up the catering
We picked the package for 30 guests which including the monks which more than enough





Blessing with holy water

We chose the package with catering for 30 people (9 monks+20 guests). The organizer will first come for the location survey and discuss our requirements. The 2nd time is one day before the ceremony, they will come for the setup. Then early in the morning of the merit making date for preparation. 

I felt that it was worth our money as we don't have to worried about anything from preparation to clearing up after the ceremony finished.



Link for the organizer Boonumpar https://boonumpar-thailand.com

Wrist Tie Ceremony
This ceremony is actually a tradition from the northern part of Thailand. I decided to make it simple and short to combine this with paying respect to the elders. 









The presents we used for the elders are a ground squirrel climbing on a tree branch made from flowers and 2 different gifts for males and females.




Image courtesy to Pixabay.com
The flowers resembled an Indochinese ground squirrel climbing on an orange jasmine branch. There is actually a meaning that these animals are very faithful to their mate and have a live long relationship. I ordered them in advance from my flower garland teacher who works in the royal palace court. 




Shawls for female in our wedding card design triangle shape box from the invitation card supplier.https://www.manitawedding.com/get-started/
  
Image courtesy to Mowaan.com
Traditional Thai medicine gift set from Mowaan. They have a lot of nice set in cool packaging. Totally useful for elderly people. https://mowaan.com/collections/ของขวัญ

What I wore

I decided to wear Thai traditional costume but not too fancy as it would only be used once. I found this place who custom made Thai silk sarong and bought their ready-made lace blouse, They are a really nice combination of colors and texture. Altogether these don't cost more than €200. I did my own hair and make up for the day and pretty happy with the result.




My purpose was to have a blissful beginning of our marriage to share and blessed by our love ones. I think we were able to accomplish that goal. There was only a  little bit of stress with the pickup and ordering those flowers and gifts and to make sure that everything would arrive on time. Apart from that, I would say it was really easy and relaxing. The next blog will be our reception party.

Until next time...💋




Comments

Popular Posts